Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Willie Garson - and Nathen.

Yeah, I was expecting my next post to be on something that's not White Collar, but I noticed this extra-ordinary article on a celebrity baby blog [? that title is pretty damn cute.] and I thought it was even good enough to be classified as inspiration for a story.



And I noticed it way too late. So if you already know all about Willie Garson's adoptive son, you might as well turn away.



For those of you who don't know Willie Garson, he's White Collar's 'burnt out, beat philosopher', as Jeff Eastin stated at Comic Con last year, but to all of us, he's much more than than that. Many hearts stopped beating for a few moments when the show's 'patch-work man' shot him, and they actually left us to wait more than four months to find out what happens (thanks to spoilers, I recovered soon enough). Again, at Comic Con, Willie also revealed that he has never read his script before. Admirable guy.


Willie Garson was unlucky with love (I don't understand how. Millions of people all over the world love him). He realized four years ago that he was nowhere close to finding the woman of his dreams. 

Most people want infants, he thinks. But he knows he fell in love with Nathen. 

During the month of October, 2008, Willie Garson attended an L.A adoption fair, and that's where he first saw Nathen, the adorable little guy in the picture. The upside-down one, I mean.

"He was balancing himself on a curb, and I was like. that's my kid." he says to People. "I knew it right then."

They bonded through sleepovers and playing-visits, all supervised. Nathen then moved into Willie's three-bedroom L.A house in February, 2009.

After more than a year of paperwork and screening, with the help of the Alliance for Children’s Rights and Westside Children’s Centeron January, 2010, Nathen officially became Willie's son. They wore suits, split a steak, and Manny the waiter did magic tricks to celebrate the new duo. 


Nathen's now settled considerably into family life. He even acted in a school play, Grease. "He played Doody," Willie proudly proclaimed. "It was the finest production of Grease in history." Now I wonder where that comes from. *scratches head*



Willie says that his biggest challenge as a Dad is helping Nathan out with his homework. 


I find all this utterly charming and heart-warming. Adoption always is, but knowing about Willie to a fair extent makes it so believable that both of them are having the time of their lives.


Reminds me of 'Forging Bonds', a White Collar episode. These are a couple of screenshots, during the scene when Mozzie finds out Neal tricked him and made off with a thousand dollars. There's a pre-tty interesting guest appearance.




Mozzie: Kiddo, you want to earn ten bucks?
Nathen: Twenty.


Mozzie: Seriously? (Aw...)


Nathen: (holding out a tiny hand) You gonna stiff me this time?


Mozzie: (sighs heavily) Go you little weasel, follow that guy.
Nathen ducks under his arm and runs after Neal.
Mozzie: He's in my training program. 


:) :)






But I guess like every awesome Dad would, Willie dreads the day Nathen wouldn't need him anymore. Sometimes, when Nathen can't sleep at night, he sneaks into Willie's bedroom, "and I say, 'Nathen, in four years you're going to not want to talk to me'."


And Nathen says, "No, Dad, I'm always going to want to hug and kiss you." 


Willie and Nathen. :)


Special thanks to People magazine, and ONTD.















0 comments:

Post a Comment